FedEx Freight’s Don Logan Named Bendix National Truck Driving Championships Grand Champion
Don Logan, a FedEx Freight driver from Topeka, KS, was named the 2012 Bendix National Truck Driving Championships Grand Champion. Logan bested 425 drivers from across the country in the annual competition, sponsored by the American Trucking Assns.
Logan, who has been a professional driver for 25 years, logging more than 2.1 million miles, competed for the sixth time in the national championships. This is the third win for him at the national level, placing first in the three-axle class in 2009 and in the twins class in 2010. Logan holds six state titles.
The contestants were the state champions in nine truck types from all 50 states. Collectively, they have driven 604,122,031 accident-free miles.
In their respective classes, drivers tested their expertise in the driving skills they use daily. The competition course inside the Minneapolis Convention Center challenged their knowledge of safety, equipment and the industry. The skills course tested drivers’ ability to judge distances, maneuver tight spaces, reverse, park, and position their vehicle exactly over scales, before barriers or around curves.
“The National Truck Driving Championships competitors are the best of the best – the safest, most skilled and most knowledgeable among professional drivers,” said Bill Graves, ATA president & CEO. “I applaud all the competitors for their achievements and dedication to safety, and congratulate Don on his Grand Champion award which showcases his superior driving skill and commitment to safety.”
Logan also won the individual flatbed truck driving competition. Other champions included:
Straight Truck: PA – Robert Dolan, Con-way Freight, Allentown, PA
Three-Axle: MA – Roland Bolduc, FedEx Express, Windsor, CT
Four-Axle:NE – Scott Stroup, YRC Freight, Omaha, NE
Five-Axle: ID – Michael Grogan, Con-way Freight, Boise, ID
Flatbed: KS – Donald Logan, FedEx Freight, Topeka, KS
Tank Truck: KY – Brent Quire, Con-way Freight, Louisville, KY
Twins: AL -Michael Umphrey, Con-way Freight, Decatur, AL
Sleeper Berth: PA – Leo Flack, A. Duie Pyle, Inc., West Chester, PA
Step Van: Edward Gertz, FedEx Express, Londonderry, NH
Robert Sutton, a driver for ABF Freight System, Inc. from Boise, Idaho, was named the 2012 National Rookie of the Year after competing in the Three-Axle division. Xata Corporation is the sponsor of the award.
The Pennsylvania state truck driving championship team won honors as the highest scoring state team, followed by Washington and Georgia respectively. This marks the 15th time Pennsylvania has won the state trophy, the first dating back to 1956.
Don Logan also won the Vehicle Condition Award, one of the longest running NTDC awards. The Vehicle Condition Award recognizes the contestant who has proven – during this competition – that he or she has a thorough understanding of equipment, an extraordinary ability to inspect and evaluate a truck’s condition, and unequivocal commitment to safety. Biodiesel: America’s Advanced Biofuel was the sponsor of the award.
Denis Litalien, a driver for Clifford W. Perham, Inc., from Wells, Maine, was awarded the Neill Darmstadter Professional Excellence Award. Litalien participated in the Five-Axle competition.
Marking his 20th year as a volunteer at the state level and 14 years at the national level, Jack Taylor was awarded the Life-Time Volunteer Award. Truck Writers was the sponsor of the Life-Time Volunteer Award.
2012 National Truck Driving Championship Winners:
Straight Truck Class
1. PA – Robert Dolan, Con-way Freight, Allentown, Pa.
2. NJ – Michael Scripko, Con-way Freight, Hamilton, N.J.
3. AL – Scott Ward, Con-way Freight, Decatur, Ala.
1. MA – Roland Bolduc, FedEx Express, Windsor, Conn.
2. NY – Gerald Thompson, Con-way Freight, Tonawanda, N.Y.
3. NH – Wayne McClellan, Con-way Freight, Manchester, N.H.
1. NE – Scott Stroup, YRC Freight, Omaha, Neb.
2. OR – Christopher Outen, FedEx Freight, Portland, Ore.
3. PA – Kevin Miskiewicz, YRC Freight, Line Lexington, Pa.
1. ID – Michael Grogran, Con-way Freight, Boise, Idaho
2. CA – Richard Camarda, ABF Freight System, Inc., Sacramento, Calif.
3. WA – Gary Herrygers, The Boeing Company, Renton, Wash.
1. KS – Donald Logan, FedEx Freight, Topeka, Kan.
2. ME – Kevin Duran, Hannaford Trucking Co., Portland, Maine
3. WV – Kenneth Grimmett, Con-way Freight, Belle, W.Va.
Tank Truck Class
1. KY – Brent Quire, Con-way Freight, Louisville, Ky.
2. MS – Jason Matte, FedEx Freight, Richland, Miss.
3. WA – Victor Skoglund, FedEx Freight, Everett, Wash.
1. AL – Michael Umphrey, Con-way Freight, Decatur, Ala.
2. NY – Mark McLean, FedEx Freight, Montgomery, N.Y.
3. NC – Leonard Coelman, FedEx Freight, Greensboro, N.C.
Sleeper Berth Class
1. PA – Leo Flack, A. Duie Pyle, Inc., Westchester, Pa.
2. LA – Pat Rudesill, FedEx Ground, Hammond, La.
3. WA – Roy Carcia, Peninsula Truck Lines, Spokane, Wash.
1. NH – Edward Gertz, FedEx Express, Londonderry, N.H.
2. AZ – Sean Saxon, FedEx Ground, Tempe, Ariz.
3. N.C. – Michael Bills, FedEx Express, Durham, N.C.
Bendix National Truck Driving Championships Grand Champion: Don Logan, FedEx Freight, Topeka, Kan.
National Rookie of the Year: Robert Sutton, ABF Freight System, Inc., Boise, Idaho
Team Trophy: The Pennsylvania state truck driving championship team won honors as the highest scoring state team, followed by Washington and Georgia respectively.
Vehicle Condition Award: Don Logan, FedEx Freight, Topeka, Kan.
Neill Darmstadter Professional Excellence Award: Denis Litalien, Clifford W. Perham, Inc., Wells, Maine
Life-Time Volunteer Award: Jack Taylor