Great Dane Focuses on Flatbeds at 2013 Great American Trucking Show
Great Dane showcased its entire series of hard-working Freedom flatbed trailers as well as an Everest reefer optimized for truckload operations at the 2013 Great American Trucking Show in Dallas, Texas. From August 22-24, attendees visiting the company’s booth (#16136) had a chance to speak with Great Dane product experts and see many of the company’s innovative line-up of trailers in-person.
At this year’s show Great Dane highlighted many of the standard and optional features in its flatbed trailer line that make them adaptable to just about any job. Featured in the booth were six flatbed trailers including two all-aluminum Freedom XP models, three all-steel Freedom SE’s (including a drop-deck and a 53′ tri-axle model with a rolling tailpipe optimized for oil field use), and a Freedom LT hybrid aluminum/steel flatbed trailer outfitted with Great Dane’s new optional Appearance Package for enhanced visual impact.
Other optional features showcased in this year’s flatbed show models included thicker main beams and extra crossmembers for added strength and durability, bulkheads, a dunnage rack, storage tool boxes and a variety of load securement enhancements. Also featured were a Hendrickson® TIREMAXX Pro tire inflation system and a Hendrickson® under-beam lift kit with Wabco® load-sensing lift control that raises one of the trailer’s axles when not needed to improve maneuverability and reduce tire wear.
Additionally, the booth also featured one of the company’s industry-leading Everest TL reefers, equipped with Great Dane’s patented ThermoGuard lining to significantly reduce insulation degradation, cooling unit fuel consumption and water vapor intrusion through the liner over the life of the trailer. The Everest TL show trailer is also equipped with a Laydon Composites® aerodynamic skirt, a Hendrickson® TIREMAXX Pro tire inflation system, Bridgestone® Ecopia tires, and CorroGuard, Great Dane’s exclusive corrosion-resistant undercoating.
The Freedom Flatbed Series
Offered in a wide range of configurations, the Freedom series has been engineered to meet stringent standards, resulting in increased strength, durability and reliable load securement, while creating a longer-lasting and more efficient product. Freedom flatbed trailers have earned a reputation across North America for boosting payload capacities and having significant resale values
Great Dane’s all-aluminum Freedom XP trailer weighs in at just 8,200 lbs. when equipped with aluminum wheels, making it nearly 1,000 lbs. lighter than a comparable combination steel/aluminum trailer. Rated to handle 60,000 lb. loads concentrated in four feet and up to 120,000 lbs. of uniform distributed loads, the Freedom XP maximizes payload versatility. This model is available in 48- and 53-ft. lengths and is equipped with a full-length built-in sliding winch track.
The Freedom SE is a heavy-duty all-steel trailer with available straight, drop or extendable body styles. This dynamo is also a corrosion-buster with structural steel side rails and other steel components that are shot blasted then protected with a high quality two-part paint process composed of an epoxy primer and black urethane topcoat.
The Freedom LT combo steel and aluminum trailer is exceptionally lightweight, but built for performance with unique features that offer weight savings and reduced maintenance costs.
Additional examples of highlighted features in the company’s flatbed trailer line include:
- Full-length one-piece main beam web construction with crossmembers that pass through the steel main beams on the company’s all-steel SE and hybrid LT flatbeds to optimize strength. The crossmembers are fastened securely using attachment clips and fatigue-resistant lock bolts to reduce metal fatigue and cracking in this high-stress area.
- Great Dane’s exclusive Model 60 support gear, which features a 55,000 lift capacity and a constant mesh gear box for smooth operation.
- Standard 6-Year Stemco Platinum Performance Plus Wheel End System, which includes Guardian HP Oil Seals, PRO-TORQ Spindle Nuts and Integrated Sentinel Hub Caps.
- Dependable Grote MicroNova® Dot 100% LED lamps and a maintenance-free, fully modular and sealed Long-Life Lighting System covered by a ten-year warranty.
- Multiple cargo securement options, including pop-up chains and winches that can be mounted beneath or recessed into side rails, or on sliding tracks mounted to the underside of the crossmembers.
- Webb Vortex Outboard Cast Drums, a light-weight cast construction allows wheel ends to run cooler and lowers operating costs.